Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Fate Is The Hunter

Just to get you excited and captivated

"This fascinating, well-told autobiography is a complete refutation of   
the comfortable cliche that 'man is master of his fate.' As far as   
pilots are concerned, fate (or death) is a hunter who is constantly in   
pursuit of them.... There is nothing depressing about Fate Is the   
Hunter. There is tension and suspense in it but there is great humor   
too. Happily Gann never gets too technical for the layman to   
understand."- saturday review 

" This purely wonderful autobiographical volume is the best thing on   
flying and the meaning of flying that we have had since Antoine de   
Saint-Exupery took us aloft  on his winged prose in the late 1930's   
and early 1940's.... It is a splendid and many-faceted personal memoir   
that is not only one man's story but the story, in essence, of all men   
who fly."- Chicago sunday tribune

6 comments:

Jenny said...

This so far is a really interesting book. The authors speech gets alittle flowery at times and I am often tempted to pull out a dictonary but each chapter he tells of a near death experience. If you ever wondered what goes on behind those locked cockpit doors go find this book. Sorry it is hard to find, but I got mine at borders and our library did order a copy for us. love jenny

shelly said...

I found a copy at the local library pretty easily.
Ganns sure likes figurative language doesn't he. Sometimes I'm just guessing about what he's talking about. But part of that is that I'm not really familiar with the technical side of flight. Shoot, I'm just gonna confess my ignorance, I'm not really that familiar with any of flight. It sounds exhilarating and boring and dangerous.

Jenny said...

Ok so April ends in 2 hours and yes my goal is to finish every book in the book club this year (like shelly). So yes i will be staying up late. I seemed to have hit a slow middle section, or the old fashion excuse of "life got so busy" either way I have to admit though good it has not been a page turner for me. William on the other hand was breaking out in a sweat reading some chapters, bitting his nails on others and polished it off in record time. He is however a pilot and I figure that must have something to do with it. Can't wait to hear what May's book will be. Love to all. Jenny

shelly said...

Hey, Book people?!?! It's May!!! You got a book for us?

shelly said...

I think my opinion of "Fate" is a lot like Jenny's. There were stories in it that were easy to read but I wasn't able to breeze through the book like Will. My favorite story was the rescue of O'Conner and Lord but I think the easiest part for me to read was his first South American trip with all the malaria. Nothing says good story like a bad case of malaria.
Just like I think a story about being a mom, written by a mom, would appeal the most to moms, I believe the same can be said for Fate is the Hunter. I can see how Will would love this narration, but I didn't get a lot of it.

Jenny said...

Yes I agree with Shelly. So heads up if next time I promise not to pick a book about the facinating life of a Dermatologist medical assistant.( maybe Spenny might enjoy it). What is May's book?